Microsoft provide free virtual machines for testing on their OS and IE/Edge. These can be seen and downloaded here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/
You'll need to use this if you have to test on IE/Edge and are using a mac. For this page I'm assuming virtual box is used and your local env is set up as per Vagrant local (mac) environment notes
To get an IE virtual box up and running:
- Visit https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/
- Select the virtual machine you wish to run, and the platform as VirtualBox:
- Download the zip button and wait for it to download (might be a good time to grab a cup of tea/coffee)
- Unzip it
- Click on the resulting .ovf file
This will open Virtualbox and ask you to confirm setting up the VM
- Click on 'Import'
This will import the virtual machine. Again, a good time to grab a tea/coffee.
- On VirtualBox click on VirtualBox > Preferences > Network > Host-only Networks. If you haven't already got a network called "vboxnet0" click the plus icon on the right hand side to add and click the OK button.
- Click on the IE virtual machine you just and click the Settings cog > Network
- Leave 'Adapter 1' as is. Click on Adapter 2, check the enable checkbox, change the attached to dropdown to 'Host-only Adapter' and select vboxnet0 under name.
- Click ok and boot up the machine (double click it) and if you're lucky it'll boot up without having to install updates.
- Edit the windows machine hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc) and add the same hosts file config from Vagrant local (mac) environment notes
- Ensure you're editing the hosts file as an administrator or make the 'Users' user an admin to be able to save the file after editing.
- You can copy paste into the VM by clicking on the virtualbox settings cog > General > Advanced and change 'Shared clipboard' to Bidirectional - Note you'll need to right-click paste in the windows box.
- Open IE/Edge
- Navigate to atd.dev/atd-d6phx.dev etc as normal to test and beg forgiveness from the IE Gods.